Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Tomato avocado salsa

  I love to wait to pick the tomatoes until they are a deep cherry red.  That's how they are right now.  The are abundant and sweet, although whenever I use tomatoes, I always use a little sugar (or a carrot if I'm making spaghetti sauce) to help cut the acid. This recipe is best with fresh tomatoes, whether they are out of your garden, or from the grocery store.

Ingredients:

1 avocado, peeled and diced
3-4 large tomatoes, seeded and diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cherry (or jalapeño) pepper, seeded and minced
1/2 to 1/2 cup diced green and red pepper
1/4 to 1/2  cup onion, diced
Juice of two limes
2 TB agave nectar or sugar in the raw
1 TB olive oil
1 TB red wine vinegar
pinch of sea salt
dash of pepper
1 TB basil, chopped
1 tsp cilantro, chopped

Mix well.  Eat and enjoy!  I think the secret ingredient is the sugar!  Serve with your favorite tortilla chips.





No comments:

Post a Comment