Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Rainbow slaw salad

A couple of weekends ago we went riding (ATV's) with some friends of ours.  Now when we're with this particular group of people, we EAT (and drink)!   This group can cook and I love getting new ideas from the recipes I've seen over the years.   Someone brought this wonderful cole slaw salad that I thought I could duplicate.  We came home and I improvised with what I had in the fridge.  Here's what I came up with. As my husband said, "It was pretty damn good."  He's a man of few words, so it must have been good for him to say that.  For me, the basil is what makes this salad.   
I'd just like to say that Agave nectar is my new fave item!  It's low glycemic and you can use in place of white sugar.  
Ingredients:
1 bag rainbow salad (broccoli slaw with cauliflower) or just use broccoli slaw
11/2 cup mayo
1/3 cup agave nectar (or use sugar)
3/4 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup dried cranberries
4 oz linguine (about a quarter of a box), cooked and rinsed
8 oz. parmesean cheese
1 cup chopped fresh basil

Whisk the vinegar, agave nectar and mayo.  Set aside.   Place the other ingredients in a large mixing bowl.  Pour the dressing over the slaw and let it marry awhile.  The longer it sits, the better the dressing is.
*variation* You could use bottled cole slaw dressing instead of making your own dressing.





No comments:

Post a Comment