Monday, September 3, 2012

Tomato season is upon us!

Thank God for cloudy, breezy days!  I have been canning this weekend, outdoors of course.  We've set up an outdoor kitchen of sorts and that's where I do my canning.  Why?  It's easy to clean up, doesn't heat up the kitchen, and I can and will make a mess.  Did I mention that I'm a slob when I cook?  Seriously.  I think that's a trait I inherited from my grandmother.  Anyway, the girls I work with agree on that one!  But at least I clean up my own mess!  One of my fave dishes with fresh-out-of-the-garden tomatoes is tomato pie.  The first time I heard of tomato pie, I thought it sounded disgusting.  Now that I've made it, I love it!  My husband tends to go overboard with the garden plants.  This year we are down to 30 or so tomato plants, however the pepper plants increased to about 36  42 or so!  So anyway the tomato pie is adaptable and best with fresh tomatoes, not store bought.  A couple of notes on this recipe...
*I use a deep dish pie pan and I love, love, love Asiago cheese.  You could easily sub swiss, provolone or whatever kind of cheese you like.  Sometimes I sprinkle the top with parmesan cheese as well.*

Ingredients:
3 1/2 cups Trader Joes all purpose baking mix
1 1/2 cup cold milk ( I use half & half)
1/2 stick softened salted butter
5 or 6 large tomatoes, sliced
a big handful of basil leaves, whole
2 cups shredded Asiago cheese
1 cup mayo (approximate)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350.  Spray a pie plate with non stick spray.  Add baking mix and butter in a large mixing bowl.  Cut the butter into the mix by using your hands, or use a fork till the lumps look pea sized.  Add milk and stir until moistened.  Roll out the dough on a floured surface to the thickness you like.  Again, I'm a crusty person so I like mine thick.  Place the dough in the pie dish.  Next, layer the tomatoes on top of the dough.  Dot the top of the tomatoes with the basil leaves.  



Next, mix the cheese and mayo together.  You want just enough mayo to moisten the cheese or it will be greasy.  Cover the basil/tomatoes with the cheese as shown below.  


Bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes depending on your oven.  Bake until golden brown.  Cool a few minutes before trying to cut it.  This will melt in your mouth, no kidding!  Enjoy!  
Recipe adapted from my "Gramma"  Rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment