Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Chicken taco soup


I had a bowl of chicken taco soup at a popular chicken fast food restaurant the other day.  It was so good, but when I looked up the ingredients, I was mortified!  Guar gum, carrageenan....No thank you!  I decided to make my own.  Here's what I did:  First, I took 3 tortilla shells and rubbed them with olive oil.  Then, I sprinkled them with my chicken taco seasoning.  I baked them in the oven at 375 for about 20 minutes until they were crispy.  Looking back on it now,  I would have cut them into strips before I toasted them in the oven.  

Ingredients for the soup:
64 oz chicken stock or broth
1 cup tomato sauce
2 cans cannelli beans, drained
1 can black beans, drained
1 cup frozen corn
2 cups shredded chicken breast
1 cup diced tomatoes (fresh or canned)
1/2 red pepper, diced
1 jalapeño, diced
3 cloves garlic, diced
1 onion, diced
4 sun dried tomatoes, chopped
3 green onions, sliced
3-4 TBL chopped cilantro
1 tsp chicken taco seasoning
2 TBL olive oil

Cook chicken and shred.  Set aside.  (Roasted chicken works great for this!)  Heat olive oil in a stock pot.  Saute garlic, onion, jalapeño, and red pepper for about 8 minutes.  Add chicken stock, tomato sauce, black beans, and 1 can of the cannelli beans.  Take the other can of cannelli beans and puree them in a food processor.  Add to the pot.   Bring to just a boil and add chicken.  Turn the heat down to simmer.  Add sun dried tomatoes and chicken taco seasoning.  Simmer for about 1/2 hour, then add green onions, cilantro and diced tomatoes.  Serve with tortilla chips sprinkled on top.


No comments:

Post a Comment