Sunday, January 27, 2013

DIY Shea butter cream

***UPDATE***  I updated this cream by adding a little more olive oil, 3 TB of sweet almond oil, and re-melted everything.  When it cooled, I whipped it up and here's what I got:

It looks just like meringue!!!!!!
It has a light, lemony color to it.  Smooth as silk too!







Recently I've been experimenting with making my own lotions, creams and lip balm.  This is a nice alternative to my favorite hand lotion, which by the way, is LOADED with ingredients I can't even pronounce.  The nice thing about this is you can make it whatever scent you like!  I love orange or lavender.  

Ingredients:
1 cup Shea butter (I got mine at Whole Foods)
3 oz. olive oil (I just used what I had in the cupboard)
1 tsp. vitamin E oil ( Trader Joes)
essential oil of your choice

Directions:
Slowly heat the Shea butter in a saucepan until it almost melts completely.  Add the olive oil and vitamin E oil.  Remove from the stove and cool until it starts to solidify.  Whip the mixture with your mixer until light and fluffy.  Add a few drops of essential oils at the end of whipping.  Store in a glass jar.  

**NOTE**  I have also made this using 1/2 cup Shea butter and 1/2 cup coconut oil (in solid form)  




















No comments:

Post a Comment